Our CAPS Certified Sommelier Program provides advanced professional development for those aspiring to be sommeliers. Professional sommeliers are well-versed in food and wine pairing and have an in-depth knowledge of other beverages and how they relate to food. Successful sommeliers design, develop and execute customized wine programs for a variety of establishments. They ensure the positive development of customer, staff and business relationships that support and promote responsible operational success. This CAPS program takes just over a year to complete, and the initial courses in wine production methods and sensory development introduce you to the skills and concepts that are fundamental to the later courses.
This program is offered by George Brown College Continuing Education in conjunction with the Canadian Association of Professional Sommeliers (CAPS).
You must secure formal admission (see How To Apply) before you can register for courses. Obtaining admission is dependent upon meeting these admission requirements:
- You must be familiar with the basic principles of grape growing and wine making, the major grape varietals, the major appellations and the current food and wine trends and issues.
- You must pass a theoretical and practical entrance exam that includes blind tasting. This exam will cover the curriculum from our HOST 9008 Wines 1 course, our HOST 9009 Wines 2 course and our HOST 9159 WSET Level 3 Award in Wines courses. We highly recommend that you complete either HOST 9008 Wines 1 course and HOST 9009 Wines 2 or HOST 9159 WSET Level 3 Award in Wines prior to writing the entrance exam unless you have already completed an approved wine program at another recognized institution.
How to Apply
There is no intake scheduled for this program while college buildings are closed as a result of COVID-19. We are also not offering this program online. You can complete the CAPS Certified Sommelier Program PDF registration application form and submit it to the department co-ordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will then be contacted when the next intake for this program is scheduled. Details about the entrance exam will be provided at that time.
Once you have completed the course requirements, you must complete a stage experience. Once you have completed all the requirements of this program (including the stage experience), you can request to receive a joint certificate from CAPS and George Brown College. You will also receive sommelier certification from CAPS.
Core Courses (Eight)
This is the required completion order:
- HOST 9111 Methods of Wine Production
- HOST 9112 Sensory Development and Wine Styles
- HOST 9115 Spirits and Other Beverages
- HOST 9113 Wine Regions of the World: Old World
- HOST 9114 Wine Regions of the World: New World
- HOST 9116 Sommelier Management
- HOST 9161 Sommelier Certification Exam
- HOST 9028 Smart ServeOnline
For more information, attend a CAPS Certified Sommelier information session.