This information is applicable to you if you are a non-practicing registered nurse (RN) or registered practical nurse (RPN) in Ontario who wishes to apply for reinstatement with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) but has no evidence of safe practice for at least three years.
For more information, check out our Frequently Asked Questions.
Nursing at George Brown College emphasizes holistic care, cultural diversity/sensitivity, critical thinking, and reflective practice. Courses take a patient-focused, family-centred, and interprofessional approach and are offered in a flexible format: they may be offered during the day, on weekends, or during the evening and may be available through in-class, online, or hybrid deliveries. Current research, adult learning principles, social justice, best practices, and lived experience provide the foundation for learning. For more information about nursing in Ontario, visit the CNO's Become a Nurse web page.
All letters of acceptance indicate the first term in which courses can be taken. (Most courses are offered every term.)
You must secure formal admission (see How To Apply) before you can register for courses. Admission will only be considered if you meet the following requirements:
- You must be a non-practicing RN or RPN.
- You must have a letter of direction from the CNO.
- You must have a resumé/curriculum vitae (CV) outlining your previous nursing education and practice.
How to Apply
You must complete the Evidence of Safe Practice Education for Reinstatement PDF application form. Your completed application form and the required documents must be sent to Gayle Bradley at firstname.lastname@example.org. The required documents must be scanned copies and not photos.
You will receive an email response within 10 business days (excluding college closures) of the day we receive your application. If you receive a positive response, you will receive a formal letter of acceptance. You must attend an online orientation session, which will outline key information about the program, including your clinical pre-placement requirements and details about your courses. The orientation will be on Zoom, and you will be notified by email with an invitation and a link to the Zoom meeting.
Your letter of acceptance will include a George Brown College Academic Guide – developed specifically for you based on your CNO letter – that contains the list of courses you will be required to complete. (The timeline for completing your courses is individualized based on your specific needs and is between you and the CNO.) That list of courses is provided in the recommended completion order. However, completion order is only limited by course prerequisites. Use the course links below to register for the courses listed on your academic guide. Keep in mind that most courses are offered both on campus and online (both versions are listed below), but you only need to complete one version of a required course.
Your academic guide will also indicate what credentials you can request to receive (using the department contact information on this web page) once you have completed all the courses you are required to complete.
Courses (Links for registration as per academic guide)
- NURS 1112 Care of the Frail and Complex Older Adult Online
- NURS 1077 Family-centred Care through the Lifespan Online
- NURS 1113 Introduction to Nursing Theory Online
- NURS 1131 Healing and Episodic Health Challenges – NTI Hybrid
- NURS 1133 Health and Transitions – NTI Hybrid
- NURS 1136 Health Assessment – NTI Hybrid
- NURS 1062 Leadership and Advanced Communication Online
- NURS 1118 Nursing Ethics Online
- NURS 1129 Nursing Informatics – NTI Hybrid
- NURS 1135 Nursing in Ontario – NTI Hybrid
- NURS 1097 Pathophysiology for Nurses Online
- NURS 1130 Pharmacology – NTI Hybrid
- NURS 1132 Relational Practice – NTI Hybrid
- NURS 1134 Research in Nursing – NTI Hybrid
- NURS 1114 Scholarly Writing in Nursing Online
Each of these meets the Emergency Management requirement (choose one):
- EMRG 9000 BEM: Basic Emergency Management On Campus
- EMRG 9158 BEM: Basic Emergency Management Online
- EMRG 9125 Emergency Management: Concepts and Principles Online
Clinical Placements (Links for registration as per academic guide)
Disclaimer: George Brown College reserves the right to add or delete programs and/or courses and to change campus locations and/or clinical placement sites depending on enrollment numbers and/or the availability of sites. Clinical placement site assignment is entirely within the discretion of the college and is based on availability. George Brown College reserves the right to alter program requirements due to legislative changes and/or changes in the requirements of clinical placement providers or the CNO.
Disclaimer: Reinstated status is awarded by the CNO. The information provided here does not represent the extent of the requirements for reinstated status. The requirements are set by the CNO, not George Brown College, so you must follow the process listed on the CNO's website and meet the requirements applicable to you to achieve reinstated status. The CNO's policies are subject to change without notice, and George Brown College is not responsible for any information errors or inaccuracies that result from a change in the CNO's policy.
- Contact Information
- Gayle Bradley, Co-ordinator (Post-RN and Academic Pathway)
- Office Location(s):